Gates are ancient arcane links between the Dark Tower and the domains. There are three different kinds.
Tower Gates have a henge behind their portal. They also have one of each Minion Gate next to them. You can tell the difference between them and Waypoint Gates when it glows red, instead of Glowing white circles above it.
Waypoint Gates are lesser Tower Gates, possessing no henge and no inherant Minion Gates, as very few have minion gates of any kind close to them. They do allow the Overlord to warp around that section of the level very quickly.
Mana Pits are used to gain Mana by sacrificing Minions. The less powerful Minions will be sacrificed first. The Overlord can send multiple Minions to the Mana Pit at one time and the Mana is transported to him and his visual HUD immediately. Once the Minions have been sacrificed, they do not return to the Minion Gate.
There are special kinds of objects in the World that explode shortly after being picked up by a minion. Do be warned that when set on fire, they explode quite quickly, this is also the case when another bomb explodes near them.
- Dwarven Bomb - The round spiky bombs — they actually look like water mines — are used by the dwarves in the Golden Hills, and also explode quite well in Overlord.
- Poison Pod - Certain roundish green plants, about pumpkin sized, can be picked up by a minion, to blow up the less friendly denizens of the Evernight Forest in Overlord.
- Blaster Bug - The beetle eggs in the Ruborian Desert can be used to manipulate Blaster Bugs. Set the beetle on fire and presto you have a bone-barrier-shattering-powerful bomb in Overlord. These also work well against Sandworms.
There are two sorts of siege weapons, only to be found in Overlord II
Catapults are handy for destroying buildings, guard towers, gates, siege towers, and wiping out a whole Legion of troops from afar.
Ballistas, basically oversized crossbows, are handy for short distance attacks on Legionnaires.
Looting various objects like chests, wooden boxes, barrels, all sorts of vases, yields gold, but to really cash in, collect sacks of gold, or mine carts filled with gold.
Sacks of Gold
Travelling the world of Overlord and Overlord: Raising Hell you will encounter sacks of gold, worth 500 gold or even 1000 gold, that significantly improve your financial situation. So look out for them:
- Mellow Hills — Halfling Homes — After the second wooden door, take the corridor on the right and keep going.
- Mellow Hills — "Halfling Village" — Do not enter Melvin's Kitchen, instead keep right, slightly up a hill, use the Reds to extinguish the flaming hill (you found a spoke nearby).
- Mellow Hills Abyss — Past the Mana Pit, before you encounter the pumpkin patch with Bob the Farmer, keep right and enter the Halfling Village.
- Heaven's Peak — The Moist Hollows — In the cave where you discover the Blues' hive, after the second vertical water barrier that you need two rocks to shut off. This is after the water labyrinth, where you needed to "Guard Marker" the minions through, to open the closed rock bridge.
- Heaven's Peak — Swamp — Exiting the Tower gate here, keep left, along the shore, on a Boombo bird island, you will need Blues to pick up the large sack of gold, yields 1000 gold.
- Heaven's Peak — The Understreets — Right behind the Water Serpent you will discover 3 sacks of gold. Again you will need Blues to get them.
- Heaven's Peak — Fortress — Enter the fortress of the Silent Order, go south towards the draw bridge to find another large sack of gold, yielding 1000 gold.
- Golden Hills — Arcanium Mine — large sack of gold, yielding 1000 gold
- Golden Hills — Fort to the Royal Halls — Entering the main gate, keep left, to find another large sack of gold, yielding 1000 gold.
- Golden Hills — Fort to the Royal Halls — On the left side of the colonnade leading to the Royal Halls gate, yields 1000 gold.
Mine Carts with Gold
- Simply kill the large slug that swallowed the cart.
- Facing several wooden barricades with fire-arrow dwarves, turn right into the opening in the rock.
- Continue past these wooden barricades, next to the metal grated gate.
- In the area where you have to fight two large slugs you will find the last cart.
There are also other kinds of objects for minions to pick up and/or use.
Health & Mana flasks
The minions, when swept, will pick up and drink alcohol. Since they do not take well to it, some animated hilarity will ensue.