He's in charge of resurrecting dead minions at the request of the Overlord. He is also in charge of the spawning of new minions using the collected Lifeforce, which makes him an invaluable asset to the Overlord.
Personality and Traits Edit
Mortis is known for his watery-sounding voice, and many quotes related to death, including "death is your friend" and "do not fear the reaper", which can be heard randomly in the game when the Overlord exits the Graveyard interface. He is also notably rather dour, most likely because of his closeness to death, as displayed when he shoves off the minions, who hug him when they are resurrected. He is, like all other minions, unwaveringly loyal to the Overlord, and reassures him that, "the newly spawned will be sacrificed first". He seems to have improved abilities due to him being able to resurrect minions that have permanently died out in the field .
He allowed the Reds to roast rats on his scythe and he seems upset by the other minion hives not being there when you first meet him. But then again, he seems sad since nearly every minion tribe is missing at the beginning of the game. The events that caused the 'loss' of the Overlord, the fall of the Overlord's empire and the destruction of the Tower Lands may have changed his attitude.
- "Death is your friend." — Minion Barracks, Graveyard in Overlord II.
- "The Minion Barracks! Here the new minions are born. Give me life force and I'll give you minions. We live. We serve you. We fight. We die. This is what we are, sire, and what we will always be." — Upon meeting for the first time at the graveyard.
- "Do not fear the reaper!"
- Mortis is apparently the only blue that stayed with the rest of the group while they were searching for the Overlord.
- Mortis's quote, "'Do not fear the reaper!"' is a reference to the Blue Oyster Cult song, "'Don't fear the reaper."
- "Mortis" means "of death" in Latin.
- His attire, name, far greater power over resurrection and his quote above, is obviously meant to refrence the Grim Reaper, however, its unknown if this makes him the Minions version of said figure or just a really powerful, blue minion.
Mortis: Reds, gone.Gnarl: Mortis misses the Reds. He used them to roast rats on his scythe, they must have followed a wisp and left. Stupid creatures, However, we believe that they must be in a volcanic area nearby.
— Mortis and Gnarl on the missing red Minions.
Mortis: Greens, gone.Gnarl: The Greens left during the exodus, they followed the trails of a foul smell leaving the group, they are stealthy creatures, we don't know what happened to them, they dissapeared in a second. There are rumors in the Barracks that they found a safe haven on a tropical island.
— Mortis and Gnarl on the missing green Minions.