Gnarl is an aged brown Minion and the Minion Master. He also advises and guides the Overlord. By his recurring appearances in all the Overlord games, it can be assumed that he is over a hundred years old, and that other Minions could, if given the chance, live to be this old and older.
Overlord: Dark Legend
Gnarl first encounters Lord Gromgard as an infant, telling him that he has great things in store. For sixteen years Gnarl hides out in an Iron Maiden within the room of the previous Overlord, awaiting the day that Gromgard turns sixteen and his powers as an Overlord are unlocked.
Gnarl is an aged minion who leads the minions between Overlords and acts as the narrator and advisor throughout the conquest. Even though being the frailest minion of the tower, he is the most experienced and knowledgeable, conducting various tasks like restoration of the tower while the Overlord is away and introduces new options and powers to him as they become available. He reflects the multiple paths of corruption the Overlord can take with his tone of voice and speech varying between light and black humour and always reminds the Overlord that "There are evil deeds that need doing." Upon arrival of the previous Overlord he is quick to betray but also appears less enthusiastic and reassures that if the current Overlord succeeds that he will "happily take him back".
Overlord: Raising Hell
After the Third Overlord is trapped in the Abyss, he states that while many Overlords have come and gone he had a "soft-spot" for him, with the other minions mourning their loss. But Gnarl believes he can find a way to escape the Abyss.
Gnarl serves the same role as he always has. It is revealed in the end cutscene that he may be simply pretending to obey the Overlord, and may even be setting him up to fail by his hand as hinted at by his stereotypical evil laugh at the end.
- "Ahh, it's so nice to see the Minions back in the field fighting and dying alike the bad old days!" — In Throne Room.
- "I remember when I was a young Minion, out in the field! Oh the things I put on my head!" — In Throne Room.
- "That Juno makes my little black heart all fluttery!" — In Throne Room, once you have freed Juno.
- "That Juno looks like a demanding lady. I'm quite hoping she makes demands of me!"
- "I don't trust that Empire, they're far too shiny!" — In Throne Room.
- "Look at all that oil, Sire; just spraying into the air waiting to be made into pretty fountains of pain and destruction!" — Nordhaven
- "Hoist the wossname... splice the mainthingie... climb the..., sorry Sire got a bit carried away there." — Leaving Nordhaven on ship.
- "This is why survival of the fluffiest has never caught on, Sire. They're just too stupid." — Sending baby seals into water mines.
- "And there's nothing that does my black heart more good than a retreating Elf! Especially if they're on fire!" — On the way to Everlight Reef.
- "Ah, this looming fortress was once the source of fear and brown trousers in this land." — First visit to the Wasteland seeing the ruined Dark Tower.
- "Your health has been increased, Master. It's less likely I'll have to come and scrape you up now!" — Health Upgrade received.
- "There's more lovely health for your, Lord. You can never be too healthy!" — Another Health Upgrade received.
- "Your horde size has increased, Lord. Who's a big powerful Overlord then? You are! Yes you are!" — Baby-talking a Command Upgrade.
- "I don't like the way that Fay ghost floats up behind you. I swear she pinched me on my... Gnarl's special place!"
Behind the Scenes
- Minion Master School
- He is voiced by Marc Silk.